Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wynn Goes Wacky

I could not help but laugh when I read that our own Austin mayor, Will Wynn, a politician mind you, is actually human. He was not a happy camper last month when he had an altercation with a construction worker and his truck blocking morning traffic on West 5th street. It is about time somebody with clout gets mad over all the construction that is going on in our city. Wynn just gets his profanity heard and written up because of who he is. He has always come across as a gentle and quiet man to me. He did admit that he was sorry, "if my language offended (the construction workers') sensibilities." He was fed up in being caught in construction and was going to make sure that they obey city ordinances, have insurance and proper permits. I say kudos to him! A truck blocking commuter traffic downtown is ridiculous. I recently had to drive downtown myself and I did manage to make it out of there alive. I am all for a rail system that would serve downtown to ease the traffic congestion. My point is that it is nice to see a politician not afraid to say a few explicits in the heat of the moment. He apologized that some of his language may have been offensive, but he is not sorry for taking a stand that hits close to home for a lot of us. Of course the Austin American Statesman could not wait to print the article on his unruly behavior. So typical. I say a "Way to go Wynn!"

No comments: