Thursday, October 4, 2007

Ex-Vice President Al Gore: "Truth" or Dare - A Hot Topic

Former Vice President Al Gore came prepared to give Austinites a "truth" talk on what we can do to save our environment this past Monday night at the Frank Erwin center.

I think it's time we give the poor guy a break. I mean, after all, he did take the popular vote in the now notorious 2004 presidential election. All he is trying to do is inform us about global warming and make a few bucks along the way. Can anyone truly identify what global warming is and what we can do to slow it down. Al believes he has answers. I believe he has good intentions. He even went to the trouble to make a movie about it didn't he? Personally I have not seen the movie, but a friend of mine said it was surprisingly well done. If a movie about how fast our earth is deteriorating can be considered "well done."

Apparently the tickets were expensive and he should have given students a discount, but I guess he needs to make a living just like we do! Of course there were Gore supporters and Gore haters at this event along with a few hecklers in the audience. This is no surprise.

Republicans stated that they are tired of hearing that we should be eating less meat, watch our thermostats, recycle, walk more instead of driving. Shouldn't we all be aware of this and do our part. I don't think it would kill us. I think we should give Al Gore a little more credit. Yes, I know he is always an easy target for a good joke, but I do believe he is an intelligent man who cares and is just trying to make a difference. I haven't always felt this way, but as I grow older my opinions have changed. In the game of "truth or dare," these days I would pick truth.

Austin American Statesman

No comments: