Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Fighting Cancer the Armstrong Way

You either love him or hate him! Austin's cyclist turned political activist is cruising through Texas this week on a bus called Survivor One, the Austin American Statesman reported on Tuesday.

This is entirely a political ploy to support Proposition 15. This is a $3 billion cancer research proposal that will appear on the November 6th ballot. I do not know about you, but I didn't even know what Proposition 15 was or what all it entailed until I saw the article in the Statesman with Armstrong's picture attached to it. I'm sure I wasn't alone and the supporters of this bill know it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Armstrong was more than happy to do this since the Lance Armstrong Foundation is a huge contributor and supporter of this bill.

According to the Statesman, "With Proposition 15, Texas will conquer cancer." To me that seems a little unrealistic. Proposition 15 would create the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas which would distribute 300 million a year in grants to facilities which taxpayers would be responsible for. In reading this article it made me think of Jerry Lewis and the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Every Labor Day weekend they have a telethon and raise millions of dollars to find a cure. This has been going on since I was a kid! And there is still not a cure. Don't get me wrong, cancer is terrible and I am actually a cancer survivor. But this all so political it's not even funny. We always need a celebrity these days to get the point across. But then again, it did get my attention. This article does not tell us Texans how much this is going to cost us. They usually never do. I guess when it is all said and done, Texans do have the biggest hearts and I do believe Proposition 15 will pass with a little help from our friend Lance.

Austin American Statesman - Armstrong makes case for war on cancer

No comments: